Monday, June 7, 2010

My Return to God's Country, aka Athens, G-A

We had a fantastic weekend - we left Friday afternoon for Athens, GA, so that I could go to Football 101 on Saturday.  We stayed with our friends, Andy & Michelle, on Friday night and Stewart kept the kids with them on Saturday while I went to Football 101.  Basically, Football 101 is the brainchild of Coach Tereshinski ... he brings about 360 women to UGA to learn about football and, specifically, the Dawg's game plan.  I have only had the privilege of going 1 time before and that was 3 years ago ... this year proved no exception to the FUN rule.

We got to the practice fields about 8:30 a.m. Saturday morning and didn't stop until about 4:30 p.m. and I have plenty of pictures to show for it.  All the coaches were there and, this year, we even got to meet some of the current players!  I opted to learn about the defense since we have a new Defensive Coordinator in Todd Grantham.  For the first 30 mins, we learned about the expansion of the Athletic offices and the building of the new training facility and new indoor field.  Then Coach Grantham went over the defensive philosophy and a few plays.  We learned 3 defensive plays and how each player participates within each of those plays - Sam, Will, Mike, & Mo were all of our friends (those equate to positions on the defense for you newbies out there - ha!)  Anyway, we left the classroom and went back to the practice fields for some warm-up exercises and then we broke out into our respective positions - I decided to play a linebacker, Sam or Will.  You know I've always thought I had the body to be a linebacker :-) Ha!

The Sams & the Wills leanred our position (since they are pretty much interchangeable) and then we met all the defensive coaches and Graduate Assistants which was fun.  Next was lunch where we joined by several players - Drew Butler, the son of the great Kevin Butler and the new quarterback (incoming freshman), Aaron Murray were just a couple.  After lunch, we headed to the weight room to see some of the moves our guys can do ... very interesting - my knees hurt just watching them!

Next, it was outside and to Sanford Stadium all the ladies went for our scrimmage.  Yes, you read that right, we all went to Sanford Stadium - offense in their red jerseys and defense in our white ones - and ran a scrimmage "between the hedges"!  It was INCREDIBLE!  We did some more warm-up exercises and then built up our defensive moves with the other positions on defense (i.e. the Mikes & Mos, the defensive line, and the secondary) so we could figure out what we were doing as a defensive team.

And, then the coin toss - where Coach Mark Richt did the honors ... Defense won the toss so we were ready to go.  We scrimmaged for about an hour which was great.  Now, granted, it was hot, but here are some photos that a friend of mine took throughout the day!  I hope you enjoy and I cannot wait to get the sign-up for the 2011 Football 101 - it's a day that I won't want to miss, that's for sure!

Morning Workout

He is just precious!

No Bird's Eye View Here - this is 'tween the hedges!

Offense in Red / Defense in White

Trying to remember if I am a 'Sam' or a 'Will' - then I had to figure out if I rushed or dropped back - which meant I had to figure out where to bear the weight on my legs - which meant my feet had to be in the right position ... man, you gotta be smart to play this game!

"hhhhmmm, did they say, 'Sam Bullets 3' or 'Will Bullets 4'?"

Now, that was mass chaos, right there ... but defense held them!

Just having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment